Dry brushing is a beauty and wellness-enhancing practice that has origins as far back as Ancient Egypt. With an array of healing benefits, from boosting circulation and the body’s natural detoxification processes to providing an effective and mess-free option for full-body exfoliation, regular dry brushing can support overall wellbeing and revive dull skin into healthy radiance. So, how does one reap all of the lovely rewards of a dry brushing practice? The key is in the technique!
How to Dry Brush
- Start with the legs and brush bare skin in long strokes or circular motions toward the torso. Apply medium pressure while brushing, starting at the tops in the feet and moving toward the hips and thighs, and repeat the movements over the entire surface area of each leg.
- After the legs, repeat with each arm. Continue making brush strokes that move toward the center of the body, starting from the hands and moving toward the shoulders.
- When you get to the chest, use sweeping motions towards the heart. This area may be a bit more sensitive, so use less pressure if needed, or switch to a softer bristled dry brush.
- To dry brush the stomach, use downward strokes sweeping toward the pelvis.
- Rinse the body with warm water afterward and follow up with a nourishing moisturizer like our Grapefruit & Rose Body Nectar or Frankincense Blossom Butter.
It is common to experience some tingling or slight redness in response to dry brushing, but be sure to listen to your body when it comes to how much pressure to apply or how often to dry brush. Because dry brushing exfoliates the skin and helps remove dead cells or any other build up, skin will be primed for deeper absorption of products, which makes this an excellent pre-moisturizing practice. Using a dry brush before bedtime can also help release tension in the body and promote deeper, more restful sleep, which we think is reason enough to make this practice a nightly ritual for creating vibrant beauty that is so much more than skin deep.
Are you ready to create your own dry brushing ritual? Give yourself the gift of an all-natural, sisal fiber Dry Body Brush and follow the steps above to experience the beautifying and wellness-enhancing benefits of this ancient practice!
Back to Journal